Sunday, November 30, 2014

DIY Christmas Stockings

Now that we are all fully stuffed from Thanksgiving, it's time to get into the Christmas spirit! What better way than making your own stockings to hang by the fireplace.....or if you don't have a fireplace, like me, than to hang over your front window!!! 
I found Sew Scrumptious Fabrics tutorial through pinterest (where else right?!) and it turned out great! I didn't have any ribbon though so the way I made my hanging loop is different but obviously both ways work ;) Head over to Sew Scrumptious to get your FREE pattern for the stockings and the step by step tutorial!  



Gather up your supplies....you only need 2 fat quarters in the colors you want but I have a few to make, so I went with these 1 yard packs. Classic colors of course :)  


I didn't have any tape nearby, so I just cut mine out and lined up on the fabric while I pinned it in place, matching up the edges. Just do what works for you! 

You'll have 2 main color (red), 2 lining (blue), and 2 cuffs (white) 



I like things neat :) 

Time to start sewing :) Now, while the directions in the tutorial are clear and easy to follow, I still managed to goof...when sewing  the second set together, I made sure the foots of the main piece and lining were facing the same way...but they were also facing the same way as the first set I made. Not a big deal, since the seams are pushed inside the stocking when you are done, but it's still nice to do things the correct way :) 

This is what you want....
Not this!




Once you have the 2 sets sewn together the right way, lay them on top of each other, right sides together and sew together...making sure to leave a space open to pull the main fabric through. 

This was a little tight, so I'd leave a wider space


Once you have everything sewn together, pulled through, and then top stitch the opening close you want to shove the lining into the main piece of fabric. 

And then you have a pretty stocking that needs a way to be hung by the fireplace window! 

So as I said, I didn't have ribbon, but I did have some green tulle! 

Cut a piece off....however long you want the stocking to hang down, it's really up to you I just estimated. Once you cut it to the length you want, fold it over so it's a skinny thicker piece.
Mid point pic..keep going until you reach the end :) Again, however thick you want it to be

Now, just sew a quick straight stitch down the side to keep it in place. I still had red thread in my machine and was to lazy to hunt down green so we had a nice pop of color :P

I'm sure I'm not the only one that had it move a little and not line up nicely on the ends so trim a little off each end so it looks nice. 
Boom...beautiful! 


Take your beautiful finished stocking and line up your tulle where ever you want it to hang from..I'm pretty sure a side edge (I chose left) is the most popular choice but no judgement if you like it to hang from the back! 
Feel free to pin if you want so it stays while you move it to the machine. 

Add another quick straight stick and BAM done! 





Show off your finished stockings on our Facebook Page! If you love the stocking but don't know how to sew, or just don't have the time to fit it in this holiday season, check out my Etsy shop...I'll have the stockings listed soon! 



























1 comment:

  1. So pleased you liked the tutorial. Your stockings look fab! x

    ReplyDelete